Tuesday, January 19, 2016
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 1/3 cups onions, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups celery and leaves, coarsely chopped
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
4 3/4 cups shredded cabbage
1 can (1 lb.) tomatoes, cut up
1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 1/2 cups fresh green beans
11 cups water
2 cups uncooked pasta (such as ditalini pasta)
dash of hot sauce
1. Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
2. Add garlic, onion and celery to pan. Sauté about 5 minutes.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except pasta and stir ingredients until they are well mixed.
4. Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Add uncooked pasta and simmer until pasta is soft.
Serving size: 1 cup
Sodium: 191 mg
Saturated fat: less than 1g
Recipe Source: Reprinted with permission from Stay Young At Heart: National Heart, Lunch, and Blood Institute. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. National Institutes of Health.