6 cups fresh broccoli
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
1 slice whole-wheat bread, diced and toasted (for croutons)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add fresh broccoli and cook until easily pierced by a fork, about 7-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
- Add the Worcestershire and hot sauces and stir.
- Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
- Sprinkle whole-wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture and serve.
Nutrition InformationServing: 4 servings
Fat: 5 g
Sodium: 239 mg
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Recipe Source: Reprinted with permission from Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. NIH Publication No. 10-7531. Page 47. December 2010.