Some general fall prevention tips when snow or ice is forecast include:
- Wear proper footwear like non-slip boots that will give you traction and keep your feet warm.
- Watch where you’re walking at night by using a flashlight or avoiding potentially icy areas completely.
- Take smaller steps and use handrails when available.
- Help elderly friends or relatives by providing balance for them.
- Try not to carry large loads like bags or groceries across icy surfaces.
Improving your balance is another way to help protect yourself from slips and falls. Some good things to start with could be balancing on one leg for as long as you can, performing planks to strengthen your core, or squats without weights are good, too! Practicing yoga is also known to improve your balance and health.
If you do slip, fall and sustain a minor injury, GBMC’s primary care offices are here for you with extended hours on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays at certain practices. Visit www.mygbmcdoctor.com to find a primary care physician who is right for you and your family.