As autumn continues, take advantage of the temperate weather and colorful scenery and encourage your children to do the same. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when considering activities to get kids moving this fall:
- Enjoy the scenery as a family. Plan activities that involve the whole family, such as walking, biking or hiking. With fall in full swing, you’re sure to see plenty of beautiful colors during your outings. As a bonus, collect items like leaves and acorns to use for crafts.
- Go apple picking or pumpkin finding. These activities not only get the kids up and moving, but they leave the whole family with healthy snacks afterward.
- Walk through a corn maze. One fun and popular fall activity for children is having a corn maze adventure. Find a local maze, and get moving!
- Make the activity age appropriate. Planning activities based on your child’s age group will keep him or her from getting bored if the activity is too easy or frustrated if it’s too difficult. If the child is still in preschool, maybe consider tossing around a soft football in the backyard instead of going on a more challenging hike.
- Encourage kids to get their friends involved. Set up a baseball or soccer game for the kids in the community. Not only will it help improve children’s wellness, but it helps develop their social skills and build self esteem.
- Do a fall-themed craft. Keeping kids physically active is important, but be sure to also focus on their minds. Use those leaves, acorns and pumpkins from your various family outings to create fun, fall-themed craft projects.