- 1 ½ lbs asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp coarse smoked salt (available in specialty food stores)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz Parmesan, shaved into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put a baking sheet on the middle rack and heat for 5 minutes.
- If the asparagus spears are especially thin, slice lengthwise into two equal pieces. If they’re larger (about ½ in thick), quarter them into four long segments.
- Place asparagus in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Arrange asparagus onto a hot baking sheet in a single layer. Return to oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through, until tender and tips have started to blacken.
- Transfer to a serving platter, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle shaved Parmesan over top and serve immediately.