- 3 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut in half crosswise (about 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, sliced crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (1-ounce) piece French bread baguette, cut into 2 slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups thinly sliced, quartered English cucumber
- ¼ cup minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly coat bread with cooking spray. Place bread on grill rack, and grill 1 ½ minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove from grill. Place peppers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes or until blistered, turning after 4 minutes. Remove peppers from grill and place in a small paper bag, folded tightly to seal. Let stand for 20 minutes. Then remove skin and seeds from peppers. (Note: wear gloves when working with jalapeño peppers and wash hands thoroughly afterwards.)
- Brush cut sides of tomatoes and onion slices with 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange onion on grill rack and cook for 10 minutes. Turn onion over. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, on grill rack; cook onion and tomatoes for 10 minutes.
- Combine 2 tablespoons oil, bread, grilled vegetables, ½ cup water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt (optional), black pepper and garlic in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt (optional), cucumber and remaining ingredients; toss.
- Ladle about ⅔ cup soup in each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with about ⅓ cup cucumber mixture.
Sodium: 280mg (if ¾ teaspoon kosher salt is used)
Recipe by: Cooking Light
Photo by John Autry; Styling by Leigh Ann Ross