Wednesday, October 10, 2012

In My Words: Postpartum Doula Experience

When Kelly Lyles found out she was pregnant with twins, she was shocked and overwhelmed. Expanding from a family of three to a family of five in just a few short months was bound to be a challenge. This is her story, in her own words.
In January 2011, I got the exciting news that my husband, Robert, and I were going to be parents again. My son Evan was two at the time, and we were more than ready to add another member to our family. To our surprise, soon after we got the initial news, we found out that our joy was going to be doubled: I was pregnant with identical twins.
Robert was thrilled, but I was very nervous. In a few short months, our family of three would become a family of five. I knew we would need help adjusting to this drastic change. Some of my friends who have twins recommended that I hire a postpartum doula for the first six weeks, so I did some research about what services this type of doula offers. I was impressed to learn that GBMC’s specially trained postpartum doulas assist with everything from breastfeeding support and sibling care to housekeeping and running errands. Lanny Dowell, Doula Program Coordinator, helped set us up with the perfect doula for us – Georgeanne Saddington.
I gave birth to my twin daughters, Grace and Quinn, on July 29, 2011, and Georgeanne started working with us at my home on August 2, 2011. Each night, she’d arrive at 10:00 p.m. and stay until 6:00 a.m. She fed and changed the girls, which allowed us to rest and recharge. I myself was recovering from a c-section and also had a root canal shortly after we brought the babies home, so her help was greatly appreciated.
Even more valuable than the extra sleep we were able to get was the helpful advice Georgeanne offered. She provided expert tips on taking care of twins and the importance of keeping them on the same schedule. She taught us how to get them to sleep in their cribs and so much more. She really became part of our family. We were so pleased with the services she provided that we expanded our eight-week contract by 12 more weeks!
Grace and Quinn are now a year old, and Evan is four. I’m a much more confident mother of multiples than I would have been without the help of Georgeanne and the Postpartum Doula Program at GBMC.
Learn More
To learn more about the birth and postpartum doula services offered by GBMC’s Parent Education Department, visit gbmc.org/doula or call 443-849-GBMC (4262). Or, take advantage of the “Ask An Expert” tool by browsing to www.gbmc.org/askanexpert and selecting the “Doula Support” button.


No comments:

Post a Comment