Friday, August 10, 2012
Grilled Chicken Tenders with Cilantro Pesto
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 pound chicken tenders
• 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, (1-2 bunches)
• 2 scallions, sliced
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, (see Ingredient Notes)
1. Whisk lime juice, soy sauce, oil and chili powder in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl. Add chicken to the remaining marinade; toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Meanwhile, place cilantro, scallions, sesame seeds and the reserved marinade in a food processor and process until fairly smooth.
4. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and grill until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 2 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cilantro-sesame pesto.
Tips & Notes
• Ingredient Note: Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
• Tip: To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 168 calories; 6 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 63 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value). Carbohydrate Servings: 0 Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Recipe from Eating Well May/June 2008